This week we read Presumption; or the Fate of Frankenstein by Richard Brinsley Peake. Presumption, a play based on Shelley’s Frankenstein, was first performed at the English Opera House on July 28, 1823. The text of the play along with cast photos, reviews, and other relevant information can be found at http://www.rc.umd.edu/editions/peake/index.html.
Since I was successful with embedding StoryMapJS last week, this post will be dedicated to embedding Voyant tools. For this first one, I created my corpus by copying and pasting each act of the play into a separate word document. I haven’t altered it nor have I set up Voyant to filter out certain words. Because of that, the most-used words showing up in this Cirrus word cloud are the character’s names that appear before each of their lines in the play.
For this second Cirrus word cloud, I used the same corpus but went into the settings and instructed it to omit English stop-words as well as character names. I also read the embedded code and noticed it said I could change the dimensions, so I tried that too.
Voyant has more tools than the word cloud, but again I'm just keeping my experimentation simple. If I was studying Presumption more closely, I might decide to edit the corpus at the word document level. For a play there would be many choices to make, such as keeping or removing stage directions or character names before their lines. Overall, I'm feeling more confidant in using DH tools and thankful that the free version of Weebly allows for them to be embedded.